Twas brillig, and the saints cause Did gyre and gimble on the pitch; All mimsy were the Sale bores, Hence there wont be a draw.
Beware the JABBERHOCKEY, my son! The balls that fly, the skills at pace. Beware the AryGaz, and shun The frumious Latimer!
We took our vorpal sticks in hand: Long time scourge in Div Three we reign- So rested we by the Stanley Park Dome, Yet another joyous victory we claim.
And then as a result of some half time talking, THE JABBERHOCKEY, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the plastic pitch, And dribbled as it came!
One two! One two! And through and through The vorpal sticks went snicker-snack! First goal, second, third and then a fourth Blackpool went galumphing back.
And, has thou played the JABERHOCKEY? Come to my arms, my beerish boys! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!? We chortled in our joy.
Twas brillig and the saints cause, Did gyre and gimble on the pitch, Caution against the Savio tribe, Lest we be slapped on the Blackpool pitch.
Any body who thinks I have borrowed any of the above from a dead poet called Lewis Carroll is very wrong, it is all my own work and if I hear anything to the contrary I will see you in court.
Saturday saw old foes Sale arrive at the Dome looking to get a few points under their belt to get them away from the dreaded drop zone. Blackpool on the other hand are looking for points to finish off a very good season. Blackpool’s problem over the last three games have been the simple stuff, passing orange to orange, winning 50/50’s and moving into space. In parts this game showed why Blackpool are a strong side in this league, but in parts they showed us all why they were in Division 6 only four years ago. The current side is a far cry from their division 6 days but they are still a conundrum. The best phrase to describe them is a ‘Curates Egg’ – outstandingly good in parts and rotten in others. For 35% of the game Blackpool controlled the pace, timing and direction of the whole game. Not allowing Sale to play and stifling any moves in their own half. The problem is for the other 65% Blackpool were in the now customary dog fight.
4-1 sounds very one sided but Sale put up a good fight and the score line is a little harsh against them. Blackpool did create far more scoring opportunities and when the real questions were asked they did put the ball in the net. They also used substitutions very well and when the fresh legs came on there was a marked injection of pace.
If Blackpool can convert their game from 35% very good to 85% they will be a match for anyone in the league. This reporter does believe they can do that and if it happens against a weaker side then watch out for a goal fest!
Squad – Blakemore, Boniface, Gettings, Latimer, Morrow L, Abbott, Pasqualino, Mortimer, Morrow K, Whitley, Morgan, Chadwick, Wright. MoM – Gettings.
© Kieron Morrow 6/02/06