Lymm Men’s 1sts 4 – 4 Blackpool Men’s 1sts

There was a dramatic end to Blackpool Men’s firsts season as a Sam Robinson goal in the final minute secured the point that lifted them to seventh in the league.

Hosts Lymm needed a full three points climb above Blackburn, but the late goal may cost them a place in Division 1 if three teams are relegated.

The hosts looked on course to grab all three points after just five minutes when Blackpoll found themselves two goals down. The first a penalty stroke after the ball deflected into Ben Mortimer on the line. Goalkeeper Nick Rainbow was sent the wrong way as Lymm took the lead inside the opening two minutes. They doubled their lead after Blackpool were caught in possession and failed to make a challenge in their area. At two down, Blackpool finally began to play some hockey as their passes started to find team mates. Jordan Payne pulled one back after rounding the goalkeeper and slotting it in. It could easily have been two for Payne, but for a brilliant diving goal line clearance by a Lymm defender that brought applause from both teams. It may have taken him until the last game of the season, but Jay Currey finally broke his duck and grabbed Blackpool’s equaliser, albeit with a little help from the goalkeeper.

The second half was evenly balanced for the opening fifteen minutes with both sides threatening, but unable to convert any chances. Blackpool found themselves ahead for the first time in the match after a brilliant solo run from Payne took him past the last two Lymm defenders before beating the keeper on the angle. Lymm responded by throwing men forward, and won a host of penalty corners. Eventually their pressure told as Blackpool leaked two further goals to find themselves behind again. In the final minute, Rainbow’s long clearance found Rob Dingle in space in the Lymm half. As he played in the overlapping Currey, the Blackpool forwards swamped the Lymm area in hope of a final flurry to their season. Currey’s ball across was a testing one, but the most the visitors could win was a penalty corner. Throwing everyone but the goalkeeper forward, it was Blackpool’s last roll of the dice this season. Steve Whitley playing in his last game for Blackpool before departing to Cairo in the summer combined with Dingle at the top of the area before the ball fell to Robinson who was cool under pressure to sweep the ball into the open goal.